Saturday, July 14, 2012

Chapwa Community Entry!

Happy July Everyone!  I’m back in Mansa for the Weekend.  This Friday marked the end of our Community Entry period (Chapwa in the title of this post means ‘the end’ in Bemba).  The first three months of Peace Corps service are a time to be learning about our community so therefore we are not supposed to leave our site or district except for special circumstances.  Now, however it is all over!  And let me tell you the time has flown by so much faster than I thought it would- I can’t believe I’ll have been living in Zambia for 6 months already!
Things that have happened in the month since I last wrote…

My Birthday
My birthday was a week after the  provincial meeting (Happy 23rd birthday to me!).  I was back in my village so for the most part it was very quiet.  However, Tembo, one of my close teacher friends brought homemade ‘birthday’ fritters to my house before school started.  After school, I went to hang out at the female teachers’ compound.  Somehow, they found out that it was my birthday.  The moment they discovered it was my birthday, they started dancing and singing in a circle around me.  The nearby neighbors heard and the women there ran to join in the dancing and singing.  Then one of the teachers grabbed my hand and brought me into the dance.  It was quite a way to celebrate my first birthday living here in Africa!
P.S. Shoutout to my amazing sister Marnie and family for the Birthday Care package I received today.  Especially to my Nephews, Will and Petey for the birthday card they made me. Thanks guys! You rock!

4th of July
               July 2 and 3 were Zambian Holidays, which meant that we PCVs had a 5-day weekend! The Sunday of July 4th, I met a bunch of other PCVs at the Beach in my BOMA (Town), Samfya.  Samfya lies along Lake Bangweulu, one of the Great Lakes of Africa. The beach we camped at was small (especially for how many of us were camping there!) but had white sand. Beautiful. The path down to the beach was quite a steep hike but wound through a wooded area that hugged the lake. Every-so-often there would be spectacular views of the lake stretching on forever.
Sunday night happened to be the Euro Football Cup Final. Spain vs. Italy. A few of the boys in the group and I went to a nearby waterfront lodge to watch the game.  I Had to support my boys in red (Viva la Furia Roja)! There were mostly Zambians watching the game (they were just as excited as I was that Spain won) but there were also three Europeans working for DAPP, a European NGO focusing on helping children in developing nations.  Every 6 months a new group of 3 volunteers rotates into Samfya. The volunteers this rotation come from the Czech Republic, Hungary and Bulgaria. They sat and watched the game with us. It was great to sit and talk with them about their experience so far. It’s much different from ours!
On the 4th we had a bonfire, a dance party (thanks to somebody’s iPod and speakers) and even firecrackers that someone had brought so there were even “fireworks.” Happy Birthday America.

My Work
           And of course, I’m also working.  This past week and next week, the grade 8 English teacher I co-teach with is proctoring the grade 9 mock-exams. So I’ve been teaching solo. It was nerve wracking at first¸ standing alone in front of 40+ 13-year-olds. However, I’ve been enjoying it. I’m looking forward to continuing teaching them on my own next week and preparing them for their end-of-term exams in two weeks.

I’ve been continuing to help my village’s fledgling beekeeping group get off the ground. Friday, I accompanied two group members to Samfya’s Department of Forestry office to introduce them to the senior officer there. The Department of Forestry (DoF) can provide training, advice, and even materials to them-- things that, I, as an education volunteer, can’t provide. Plans have even been made for the DoF officer to come to Chinsanka to meet the group and see where they plan to put the hives. So things are starting to get moving with this project!


So that’s my life for now! Next month (August) I’ll be heading to Lusaka with the rest of my intake for In-Service Training. We’ll be there for two weeks and then bunches of us are heading to Malawi for a weeklong vacation. Can’t wait! J

Love and miss everyone back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment