Saturday, October 27, 2012

Nine Monthaversary


Happy Saturday!

Friday marked nine months since I boarded a plane in New York City and flew to Zambia! It’s hard to believe that in just three months I will have already been in Zambia a year.  At the end of November, just one month from now, I will have one term of teaching English under my belt. It’s crazy. It’s also crazy knowing that life back at home is going on without me- friends move cities, graduate college or get new jobs. The little nephew who could barely crawl in January is now able to talk to you on the phone.  Time feels like it barely moves here but maybe that because it’s moving so fast.

The teaching routine is still the same: Teach mid-morning to early afternoon. Make lunch and then return to the school around 3pm for either adult literacy on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday or meeting that are going on.  I love my adult literacy class.  They aren’t afraid to ask questions which I really like. This week, on Tuesday, I’m going to start teaching them about HIV prevention.  I’m a bit nervous about teaching men my father’s age about HIV prevention but I’m sure it will work out just fine.

My cat, Scout, is living up to her name. She goes out and hunts at night and generally stays out until morning when she meows at 5am for me to let her in. One night however, I heard her meow at my door.  When I let her in she dropped something large and grey at my feet.  A dead mouse. She then picks it up and plays with it for the next twenty minutes before eating it. All of it- including the bones- in front of me. At least I know she’s doing her job. Right?

Finally, October is hot season in Zambia. Which is just like summer in Texas- except without air-conditioning, ice and swimming pools. My Peace Corps friends and I have made two weekend trips to camp on the beach in Samfya just to try to get a bit of relief.  While at site though, my mud-brick hut absorbs the heat during the day, leaving the house relatively cool during the day. At night, however, it keeps in the heat.  So many nights I’ve woken up drenched in sweat.  There is a big river next to me. My students love to go swimming in it but I’ve never been brave enough to join them since there have been recent crocodile sightings in the river.  Instead, I think longingly of rainy season, which is supposed to start any day now.

That’s all for now! Have a Happy Halloween everyone!

 

1 comment:

  1. Just stay near the shore and splash water on you!!! Harper says hello to Scout!

    ReplyDelete